Having bad breath or halitosis can make one self-conscious, especially when interacting with people. Bad breath occurs for various reasons, including food, habits, or even a health condition. The best way to combat bad breath is to get to the root cause and improve dental hygiene. In this blog, we give you insight into the different reasons you could be having bad breath and ways to prevent it. We also include toothpaste and mouthwash recommendations that could help you.
Causes of Bad Breath
There are many possible reasons you are experiencing bad breath, similar to how bacteria in your mouth can come from many different sources. Your bad breath can be caused by any of the following:
- Certain foods – Foods like onions, garlic, and spices can cause bad breath because they have sulfur-containing chemicals, which also cause their distinctive smell. Once you digest these foods, they enter your bloodstream, get carried into your lungs, and cause halitosis.
- Poor oral hygiene – When you don’t brush or floss daily, this can lead to food particles staying in your mouth and causing bad breath. The food particles in your mouth that are not washed away develop into a colourless, sticky film of bacteria known as plaque, which can eventually irritate your gums.
- Use of tobacco products – Smoking can result in a slew of health problems, including oral health problems. In particular, smoking can cause halitosis since it increases the development of toxic volatile sulfur compounds in the mouth. At the same time, constant smoking can lead to a dry mouth, another factor in bad breath.
- Dry mouth – This condition happens when the production of saliva has decreased. As a result, particles that cause bad odours are not removed from your mouth, causing halitosis.
- Mouth infections – Bad breath can also be caused by other oral problems, like tooth decay, gum disease, or mouth sores, as these conditions increase the amount of bacteria present.
Tips to Prevent Bad Breath
After knowing the different causes of bad breath, you should know the different ways to prevent it. Here are some oral health tips that can combat halitosis:
1. Brush your teeth regularly
Brushing your teeth is important to prevent bad breath and other oral health problems. Make sure to brush twice a day and floss afterwards. That way, you can remove food particles and plaque that cause bad breath. Having the right oral health products can also help in keeping your mouth clean and fresh.
If you’re looking for one that’s natural and can help you combat odour-causing bacteria, we recommend Acess oral health products. This Japanese toothpaste and mouthwash is made of natural herbs such as chamomile, ratanhia and myrrh, which help fight anaerobic bacteria that cause mouth conditions and bad breath. Acess toothpaste and Acess L toothpaste are also great for those with sensitive teeth as they are abrasives-free and bleach-free.
2. Drink plenty of water
Consuming a sufficient amount of water can help in keeping your mouth moist and prevent dry mouth. Furthermore, drinking water can flush out bacteria and food particles that cause bad breath. We recommend consuming at least eight glasses a day, which is beneficial not only for your oral health but also for your overall well-being.
3. Limit eating foods that may cause bad breath
As mentioned above, certain foods can contribute to bad breath. The foods that can cause bad breath usually contain compounds that have a strong odour. As such, when it comes to maintaining good oral hygiene, although it may be challenging to eliminate these foods from your diet altogether, it’s advisable to limit your consumption of them in order to avoid any potential issues with bad breath.
4. Quit smoking
When you quit smoking, not only will you do your teeth, mouth, and gums a favour, but also the rest of your body. Take steps to quit smoking so that you can avoid bad breath and other potential health problems.
5. Visit your dentist regularly
Regular check-ups with your dentist help identify dental problems that could cause your bad breath, like gum disease or tooth decay. Your dentist will also be able to give you the treatment you need so that you can prevent severe oral health conditions in the future. Regular dental health cleanings can also remove the plaque and food particles your toothbrush and floss may not be able to reach.
Utilise Japanese Toothpaste & Mouthwash to Improve Oral Care
Keeping your teeth, gums, and tongue healthy is another form of self-care, which is important for your overall well-being. For maintaining oral health, Satopharm offers Acess toothpaste and mouthwash, comprised of three main ingredients: chamomile, ratanhia and myrrh. The three ingredients found in our Japanese toothpaste have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and lesion-healing properties that help in preventing oral problems, including halitosis, bleeding gums, and more. Since our toothpaste does not come with abrasive ingredients or bleach, it is also suitable for those with sensitive teeth.
For your oral health needs, purchase Acess oral health products today and see the difference. You can also check out our other health products.