Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is a bone disease that is characterized by a progressive decrease in bone mass and density, leading to risks of bone fractures.

The amount of calcium in the human body is about 2% of the body weight. Thus, if a person weighs 60kg, the weight of the calcium in his body should be about 1.2kg. 99% of this 1.2kg are used to form the bones and teeth, while the remaining 1% is in the blood. Insufficient calcium will eventually lead to weak or brittle bones.

The form of osteoporosis most common in women after menopause is referred to as primary type 1 or postmenopausal osteoporosis. Primary type 2 osteoporosis or senile osteoporosis occurs after age 75 and is seen in both females and males at a ratio of 2:1. Secondary osteoporosis may arise at any age and affect men and women equally.

Calcium-rich diet

These are some foods that are calcium-rich:
1.Cheese
2. Yogurt
3. Milk
4. Sardines
5. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens
6. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes (They have a lot of calcium in one serving.)
7. Fortified orange juice
8. Soybeans
9. Fortified soymilk (Not all soymilk is a good source of calcium, so it’s best to check the label.)
10. Enriched breads, grains, and waffles

Sunlight is a rich source of Vitamin D, which helps in the absorption of calcium.

Exercise and Supplements

Osteoporosis may be prevented or delayed by diet and physical activity esepcially when young, such as during adolescence. Exercise, even light exercises like brisk walking helps the absorption of calcium. Surprisingly calcium absorption is not easily absorbed through meals. Calcium supplements formulated to be absorbed easily are now widely available, and thus recommended.